On Monday, I mentioned things you can do in Nisswa if you stop while biking on the Paul Bunyan Trail. If you are spending more than a few days in the Brainerd Lakes area, you might also be interested in the following activities:
1. A flea market is held every Saturday during the summer on Hwy 371, just south of Hwy 13 in Nisswa. On Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day weekends, the flea market is also held on Sundays. The holiday weekends also have more sellers and a larger variety of merchandise. You can find books, crafts, antiques, furniture, plants, fair food, hunting and fishing supplies, and household items. Definitely something for everyone.
2. Brainerd International Raceway is host to the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals, as well as other road races and drag races.
3. If you want to do some racing of your own, visit Vacationland Family Fun Park (formerly known as Kart Kountry) right next to the Raceway. They offer NASCAR simulators and GoKarts as well as bumper boats and other activities.
4. Test your skills at one of several great golf courses in the area, including Grand View Lodge and Madden's on Gull Lake.
5. Less serious about your golf? Pirates Cove has two 18-hole courses for mini-golf, and if you didn't get enough of racing, they've added Billy Bones Raceway, with 3 Go-Cart tracks.
6. If you aren't staying at a resort on a lake, check out one of the area's public beaches.
7. Try your luck at fishing. You can hedge your bets by hiring a fishing guide.
8. If you feeling lucky, but not interested in fishing (or you already caught your limit!) you can visit Northern Lights Casino in Walker or Grand Casino Mille Lacs in Onamia (pronounced Oh-naym'-ee-uh)
9. Enjoy one of Fred Sheer's Lumberjack Shows in Pequot Lakes.
10. Like horseback riding? Visit one of the riding stables in the area.
If you have more ideas, or activities that you recommend, please share them in the comments section.